Thursday, September 20, 2012

Burning pencils and Beef and chedder sandwiches.

I was leaving the house this morning to run some errands, when Def Leppard's "Too Late For Love" came on the stereo. It had been a while since I had heard it, and brought back some memories of high school. I would like to share some with you. Maybe you will remember some of these things, or maybe you were involved in them with me and the gang.

My Harju HATED me. In Electronics class I used to love hooking up pencils to the high voltage at our work station and cranked up the dial until the pencil cooked from inside out. Ah, good times. We would sneak out to the lunch room to get fresh cookies from the lunch ladies and fruit juice from the machine they had in the cafeteria. We had a pretty good run going on until one day he caught me. He just let me have it. I had the nerve to talk back to him, and it cost me. Yeah. He hated me, and it was well deserved. I was an asshole to him, and until the day I graduated he NEVER had a kind word for me.

Auto Shop with Mr. Schadle was pretty fun. I really wanted to build my own engine, but I was just not mechanically inclined. We used to work on our cars all of the time. I had my old Biscayne in there every other week for some stupid thing I wanted to do. Usually a stereo switch. After awhile, the teacher told me "I had better see solder next time, or you fail." So, I stopped bringing it in. We had a GREAT routine everyday, that is now legendary. We started sneaking out of class to go to Rooster's Party Store to get food. 2 people would run interference while someone else jumped in a car and took off for the store. Now, we had to do this REAL quick to make sure that the elected food smuggler wouldn't get caught. Usually a 10-15 minute window. We did this all year and NEVER once got caught as far as I remember. We started this tradition, and baby was the food AWESOME! If you live in Saint Joseph, you know what I'm talking about. The greatest beef and Cheddar sandwiches, and a killer ham sub. Getting out of the class was MUCH easier than getting back in. The timing had to be just right. I mean, you're smuggling in 2 bags of food and soda, and whatever else someone wanted. But we did it.

One time I was the elected to go to the store, and I was already getting ready to bring my car into the shop. I went to put it in reverse to take off, and backed right in to Mr. Schneider's Delta 88. Cracked the whole front fiberglass. Damn. I then had to go to his class and explain what happened, and he was less than a happy guy. He did however forgive me. He was a heck of a nice guy, and I always liked him alot.

Commercial printing. Mr. Schneider. I LOVED this class most of all. We used to make awesome goodies. I remember Mark Sanders was in my class, and we came up with the term, "Life's A Beach" and we were going to use it to make t-shirts and stickers. sadly, we were not allowed to use the words as they were a play on the term Life's A Bitch. There was a surf shop down near Silver Beach that eventually trademarked the term, and made serious bank from it. true story. Damn, I miss Mark Sanders. Steve Heier was also in my class, and he designed this AWESOME design with a rabbit on it. He made pads of paper with this design and I still have a pad to this day. Steve was a Boondocker, and I love that man. I still stay in touch with him. I consider him one of the best friends I have ever had.

One day we had a substitute teacher in class, and I saw an opportunity to do something I had wanted to try all year long. I took the classic "Let's Go Bears" sticker, altered the words, and made it say "Let's Get Beer" in the same design and font of the original. We were able to design it, make a silk screen and print it in just 45 minutes. Sadly we were only able to print off 10 bumper stickers before class was over. We had to make sure we destroyed the evidence before class was done, or we would be in danger of Mr. Schneider seeing the screen. I gave these stickers to my friends, and kept only one for myself. The last time I saw one, Ted Rasch had one at his house on his wall. I have NO idea if anyone has any of these stickers lying around. If you do, and you're reading this, please contact me. I would LOVE to at least see this legendary sticker one last time.

Lunch time, Mike Feherenbach and the gang would sit and we would write stupid song parodies. We wrote over 50 songs that made fun of everything. We wrote them about our friends. John Chaddock had his own song that was to the tune of Tom Sawyer from Rush. I still know the words by heart.

"A modern day geek-boy looks like death. Today's John Chaddock, bad bad breath....."

I could go on. Anyways, that was some of the things I remembered this morning. I'll have more memories tomorrow. And if you DO remember any of the things I wrote about today, just look back and smile. We were kings.

No comments:

Post a Comment