Sunday, November 18, 2012

Don't forget the kick in the ass.

When I was on the road to recovery from having GBS, I was thankful that I had friends that were there for me. They couldn't always be there physically, but they were there to call, and make sure I had someone to talk to and keep my spirits lifted. They knew how tough my ordeal had been, and the rehab that followed was very stressing. No matter how down I got, I always had someone there. That allowed me to be strong when everything seemed hopeless. I would have days when I was so depressed, but knowing that I could call someone, and they would be on the other of that phone made me survive the tough times.

Once, Sue Macks called and asked if I wanted to go for a drive and get out for some fresh air. It was great. We drove out of town and sat and talked for an hour. It is those kind of friends that I am proud to have on my side. I have not seen much of her in the last few years, but I know that she WOULD be there if I needed her.

When I was finally able to drive, I went anywhere I could. I took alot for granted, and I swore I never would again. I have alot to be thankful for today. I easily could have died, but I didn't. I easily could have had horrible residual effects from the GBS, but I didn't. I carry the reminder of being sick with the nerve damage in my feet, and the lack of feeling in my hands. But I don't let it stop me.

NEVER underestimate the power that your friends have to lift you up. True friends will never stop picking you up when you need a helping hand. Even when they are down themselves. That's how it works. You help when you can, and they return the favor when YOU need it. It could be something as little as them buying you a soda, or something as big as throwing $300 in your pocket to help you buy a car you need to get to work. There are no limits to what a good friend will do to help you out. My friends are awesome. They will always be there for me. If for anything, to kick my ass when I need it. (And trust me, I have needed it)

And I love them for that.

My friends know who they are. They never ask for credit for the things they do. But I do give them credit. The friends I have now are the friends I will have the rest of my life. They have always been there for me, as I will always be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment