Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A stinky ride, and autographed basketballs.

Well, in my travels I have encountered several high profile individuals. Some good, some bad, some stinky. I once road an elevator with Ted Nugent in Grand Rapids. He was in town for an interview, and I happened to be in the same building for whatever reason. He greeted me, and I said how much I admire him. Real nice guy.

About 20 seconds in to the ride, he just let one rip. I could actually see the air moving as the smell got closer. And it hit me. A primal stench that should have killed me. I wanted to move, but I was frozen like a deer in his cross hairs. I think he knew that I was suffering, and he laughed. 'Call of the wild!" was all he said. The doors opened, and he got off. I swear the smell hung on my clothes all day. About a year later I met him again, and he actually remembered me. He shook my hand and laughed. 3 years later I got for a Christmas gift a framed autograph from him. I still have it to this day. As I said, a helluva nice guy.

In 1988 my friend Dave and I were driving from Charlevoix to Traverse City. we stopped in Torch Lake to get something to drink. I went in and got a couple of sodas. there were some groceries on the checkout lane, so I waited. A guy walked up and said that I could go ahead of him because he still had some more things to get. She rung me up, and I realized I left me wallet in Dave's Blazer. Before I had a chance to go outside, the guy said, "Don't worry about it. I'll cover you." I looked up the guy to thank him, and I was shocked to be face to face with Bob Seger. I had to step back. "You're Bob Seger!" I said. He just smiled and laughed. He had the girl put the sodas on his charge, and I thanked him, and I shook his hand. I told him how much I admired his music, and what an influence he had on me. I went out and told Dave what happened, and of course he didn't believe me. That is until Bob walked out and got into his big-ass Chevy and drove off. he was and still is one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe7yOccqdxI


Later on over the years he would stop in to my parents grocery store. He was a man who liked his privacy. People would start making a big deal about him being there shopping, and when this happened, he would just leave his cart full of groceries in the aisle, and leave.

Tim Allen once used the bathroom at my parents grocery store. He didn't flush.

We used to get alot of former Detroit Tigers that came into my parents store. Micky Stanley, Bill Freehan, Dave Rozema and several others. Mike Illitch would always come in and buy steaks. His wife was all business, but he was a great guy. Always thanked the baggers for taking his groceries to his SUV. I met Al Kaline when I was about 7. He was at Meijer in Grand Rapids for a promotional thing. My father was the store manager, so he introduced me to Mr. Kaline. One of THE nicest men ever to play the game, and to speak with.

Jim Abbott the former MLB pitcher shopped in the store all of the time He had a home near Harbor Springs, and was very active in local charities. He is a picture of kindness the way he treats everyone. It was to the point that everyone just called him by his first name, because that was the way he wanted it to be.

Bill Laimbeer. Wow, this was a fun one. I was working part time at a Rite Aid in Petoskey once when he came in. He was BAD ATTITUDE from the second he walked in the door. He picked up some things and a children's thermometer. Came to the checkout and didn't say ONE word. Just threw the money at me. A lady and her 8 year old son came in while I was ringing him up, and the little boy knew right away who he was and stood there looking at him. Bill finished the transaction, and still had not said one word. He walked past the little boy, and left the store. The child went to the window and looked out at him......just stared. You can tell he wanted to ask him something, but was too afraid. 5 minutes later, Bill walked back in to the store, and handed that lucky little boy an autographed basketball. Bill may be a asshole in many peoples eyes, but he made sure that kid had a smile on his face, and a day he won't forget.

There were about 10 others or so I had met over the years. I worked in radio for a long time, and rock starts came and went. Jon Bon Jovi and Ritchie Sambora once drank a beer with me. Jon was a jerk, but Ritchie was a great guy. Maybe he was having a bad day because I know that Jon is really a nice person.

The best encounter ever was at Tiger Stadium. Patrick Mackay, Mary Kerschner and my self went to Tigers Stadium in 1990. We walked out through the tunnel, and there he was. The legend Ernie Harwell. There was a crowd around him, and I just HAD to wait to shake his hand. When it was my turn, he looked me in the eyes, and introduced himself. I shook his hand and told him what a pleasure and an honor to meet him. he laughed and said, "The pleasure is all mine, son." He autographed my program, patted me on the shoulder. I thanked him, and he thanked me right back.

I cried the day he passed. Just that one chance encounter, and I felt like I had known him for years. He was always the voice I heard on the radio growing up, and his passing was a blow to everything I was when I was a child. never was I so sad, and yet happy that he had been a part of my life growing up. Telling me how "Willie Horton stood there like a house on the side of the road!" whenever he struck out.

Well, that's all for today. Tomorrow I'll tell you about how I broke my leg in 2 places, and my mom didn't believe me! Even with bone jutting from my leg! HAHAHAHAHAHA!



No comments:

Post a Comment